Home Remedies for a UTI
Everyone is susceptible to urinary tract infections (UTIs). However, there are some home remedies you can use that are doctor recommended. Always be careful when doing therapies at home, and always check with your doctor if your condition is serious.
Baking soda mixed with water as a home remedy for a UTI
This is a time tested home remedy, but do not drink too much of it. Many women have used using this home remedy to cure their UTI, but the Medical Toxicology Fellow, California Poison Control System reported that about 5% of the poisoning cases they received in 2014 were from women using too much baking soda while trying to treat their UTI.
Eating Foods with Vitamin C
Foods that are high in Vitamin C will make your urine more acidic and that will stop the growth of harmful bacteria in your urinary tract. Some people prefer to take a Vitamin C supplement while they have a UTI. This is the reason we have included Vitamin C in our Cranberry Concentrate w/ Vitamin C, as the combination of the Vitamin C and the other ingredients in the formula create a powerhouse fighter for that harmful UTI bacteria.
Cranberry w/ Vitamin C | UTI Relief | Maximum Strength
For maintaining a healthy urinary tract and preventing urinary infections:
Use Heat to Sooth the UTI Pain
Pain due to swelling is because the urinary tract is inflamed. Using a heat pad can help loosen muscles and make more room for this swelling which will ease the UTI pain. Use 15 minutes intervals when applying heat pads to the affected area.
Food / Drinks that are GOOD for UTIs:
- ProbIotics - yogurt, or fermented foods, pickles and sauerkraut. They flush your digestive system by giving you healthy probiotic cultures that fight the bacteria.
- Vitamin C foods - oranges, cabbage, cauliflower and grapefruit. As mentioned above, Vitamin C mankes the urine more acidic, so you are flushing more toxins from the urinary tract with each urination session.
- Lemon Juice - just like Vitamin C, it makes urine more acidic, and, is an excellent overall body detox / cleanse.
- Zinc foods - ginger, flax seeds, brazil nuts, peanuts and almonds. These foods are high in zinc which produces white blood cells which UTI causing fight bacteria.
- Berries - cranberries and blueberries. They both as contain plant compounds called proanthocyandins, which prevent harmful bacteria from clinging to your urinary tract.
Food / Drinks that are BAD for UTIs:
- Spicy foods
- Sugars and sweeteners